Sunday, November 27, 2011

Rounding Out the Long Weekend

I made time to get some brewing to-dos finished before the week started and had the foresight to take a few pictures:


This is me testing the final gravity of the First Noel Christmas Ale. The gravity was right on the nose so I transferred it to secondary. The cylinder I am holding allows samples to be drawn and then returned to the fermenter (although I couldn't help but sneak a taste, and it was delicious). Two weeks of aging and then it will go into bottles. It will be officially ready to drink by Christmas Day but will be good for at least a year after that.



This is the yeast from the First Noel; it went into sterilized Mason jars for re-use. Twelve gallons of beer yielded 5.5 pints of delicious yeast. The labels on top show what it is and the use date. This will be used for a Saison in the near future.



(This is for reference only. See how the yeast separates from the beer? This is from Batch 17 American Wheat, and will be re-used in the coming weeks.)


I also made new, tidier blow-off tubes for Batch 18. I didn't like the octopus look of the previous blow-off tubes, which weren't sealing well anyway. These take up a lot less space and work better, although for some reason they are much quieter. My wife, the Fair Wx Runner, has taken up knitting and commented how she could hear the occasional burp of the fermentation with the previous tubes. These are quiet as a church mouse. No more blurp-blurp while she is knitting her latest project.

No comments:

Post a Comment